Shield of Faith

A journal of my family's battle with cancer. On December 15th, 2006 I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer. In the spring of 2008, we found evidence the cancer has advanced to stage IV.
I am 38 years old and live in Tucson, Arizona.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Finally, I am scheduled for treatment

It looks like the treatment is finally going to start on Wednesday next week (Jan 31). I am scheduled to go in for my first chemo treatment at 10 am. There are two different medicines they will be giving me: oxaliplatin and 5-FU. The oxaliplatin requires a 90 minute treatment at the cancer center once a week and the 5-FU is administered continuously through a portable pump. After next week, I am scheduled for the following treatments on Tuesdays.

The radiation simulation went well last week and I got my little tattoos. Jackie gives me a hard time because I can be a real prude and now I have 3 tattoos. The tattoos are just little dots that they use as reference points to align the radiation equipment. I don't know when the radiation treatments will start, but I am supposed to meet with the therapist next week to setup the schedule. Each treatment will take 15 minutes and I should be in and out in 45 minutes.

It looks like the treatments will be broken out nicely by month.

February: Chemo/Radiation
March: Rest
April: Surgery and recovery
May-August/October: Chemo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home