Shield of Faith

A journal of my family's battle with cancer. On December 15th, 2006 I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer. In the spring of 2008, we found evidence the cancer has advanced to stage IV.
I am 38 years old and live in Tucson, Arizona.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

The Joy of Eating

Great news! I have finally been weened off the I/V nutrition (the TPN). I am now entirely dependent on eating for my nutrition. I was on the TPN for nearly 5 months, and most of that time I could not eat anything. Last week when I saw my oncologists I told them I was getting chubby, and who wouldn't when getting 3500 calories from the TPN, and probably another 1000 from eating.

I am still not eating as much as I used to, but I am doing pretty well. I have to settle for bland foods that are easy to digest, like potatoes, eggs, and breads. I seem to do ok with lean meats as well, particularly fish. I think it will take a while for things to get back to normal in the eating department, but right now I am just happy to be able to eat again. When I couldn't eat in the hospital I was always thinking about food and watching any cooking show I could find. With this newly earned knowledge, I am looking forward to a cooking hobby (I just need some experience)!

I truly believe that eating is one of the great joys that God has given us. But, like the other joys we are given, it is something that requires temperance. Most of my life I have had a horrible diet because I had the advantage of never gaining weight (I have alway been skinny). I ate red meat and fried food all of the time and only occasionally had a good serving of fruit or veggies. There are 101 ways we can be blind sighted by a serious health problem that stems from a poor diet, and I believe my cancer is one. I encourage everyone to enjoy their food, but eat healthy--it is worth it. I believe the best thing we can do is have 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, and everything else in moderation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home