Shield of Faith

A journal of my family's battle with cancer. On December 15th, 2006 I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer. In the spring of 2008, we found evidence the cancer has advanced to stage IV.
I am 38 years old and live in Tucson, Arizona.

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Chemo Treatment Update

I have now been off the TPN for about 2 months. Things are going pretty well, but the side effects of the treatments are getting a bit worse. I have lost about 25 pounds since getting off the TPN, but my weight seems to have stabilized for now.

The good news is that my eating has improved considerably over the past two weeks. It used to be I would get distended and bloated about every day, but now I can eat more foods and not get distended. I think this is partly due to the digestive enzymes I am now taking and it seems to indicate that my previous digestion problems were not due to a partial blockage in the intestines (yeah!).

I am now on two chemo medicines: 5FU and Oxiliplatin. The original treatment plan was to have 8 treatments, every other week. But since we did 4 treatments of just the 5FU, I suspect they will want to do 12 total (to get 8 treatments with the oxili). If this is true, then I should be disconnected from my last chemo on Valentines Day and be over the side effects early march.

The picture is Jackie and Syd at a UofA basketball game. I am very happy basketball season is back, although sad that Lute will not be back this season. Kevin O'Neil has done an excellent job so far taking over the reigns and I think we will still have an excellent season. Go cats!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home