Shield of Faith

A journal of my family's battle with cancer. On December 15th, 2006 I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer. In the spring of 2008, we found evidence the cancer has advanced to stage IV.
I am 38 years old and live in Tucson, Arizona.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Back to Treatment

In the past couple of weeks I have had a CT scan and a PET scan. These exams have shown significant evidence that the cancer has spread to my lungs which means the cancer has advanced to stage IV. The nodules we have been tracking since September showed up on the PET scan. The good news is that the new tumors are less than 1 centimeter in size and we have seen that my previous chemotherapy was working against them.

The current plan is for me to go back into chemotherapy on Tuesday next week (6/10/08). I am considering to participate in a clinical study at the University of Arizona for stage IV colorectal cancer patients. The study involves a new experimental drug called Enzastaurin in combination with the drugs Irinotecan and Cetuximab. It is very sobering to acknowledge the main thing they are looking at with this clinical study is the survival rates of the participants.

After recovering several months from the previous cycle of treatments I am feeling pretty good and it is disappointing to have to go back to treatment. I continue on focusing my energy on maintaining a positive outlook, not feeling sorry for myself and asking God to fill me with courage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home