Shield of Faith

A journal of my family's battle with cancer. On December 15th, 2006 I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer. In the spring of 2008, we found evidence the cancer has advanced to stage IV.
I am 38 years old and live in Tucson, Arizona.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

New Chemotherapy

We have had some very good news since my last treatment. I finally got back the results of a genetic test that indicates I should be responsive to Cetuximab. The testing looked for a mutation that would make Cetuximab ineffective and it turns out I do not have it. This is very good news because people that have this mutation tend not to respond well to any chemotherapy.

I am at the Arizona Cancer Clinic right now getting infused with the new treatment. Today is the first day I am getting the Cetuximab. The main side effect has to do with skin rashes that should develop in the next week.

Last week I had a CT scan to see how well I was responding to the Irinotecan treatment. The results were neither great nor terrible. It appears the treatment I have been having has minimized the cancer growth. Hopefully, the addition of Cetuximab will cause the tumors to start shrinking.

The picture above is taken by Aaron A., a good friend at work. It was taken somewhere in southern Arizona; you would have to ask Aaron exactly where.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I, I read your history since Québec and I will say good luck in your life combat.
    take care.
    ron

     
  • At 7:29 PM , Blogger Carol Ryniewicz said...

    Hi Ron,
    I really don't know how I happened upon your site, but I did. I read some of what you have gone through and I just sensed a great peace as I read it. Though you have been through some difficulties, I see a footprint of God in your life that shows me that you are not walking alone. We don't always know what God has for us, but I feel very deeply to pray for you and your family. So I just wanted to encourage you in your fight against cancer. Push with all you have in you against this enemy called cancer. No matter what anyone tells you, no matter what any doctors tell you, Jesus Christ came into this world for you to defeat cancer. I will pray for you to have the physical, emotional, and mental health you need to fight it! you have a beautiful family. I will pray they have you here on earth a long time. God bless!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home