Shield of Faith

A journal of my family's battle with cancer. On December 15th, 2006 I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer. In the spring of 2008, we found evidence the cancer has advanced to stage IV.
I am 38 years old and live in Tucson, Arizona.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Update on my treatment

I had a scary experience on Friday when I had an allergic reaction to Oxaliplatin, one of the chemo drugs I am on. All I can say is that the nurses at the University cancer clinic are amazing and they handled the situation perfectly. When I realized I was having a bad reaction, I pulled the emergency cord and within 10 seconds I was surrounded by nurses taking control of the situation. They loaded me up with steroids, adrenaline, benadryl, and ativan and shipped me off to the UMC trauma ER. Thanks to them everything ended up okay. I can't say enough about how great they are at the Cancer Clinic!

This has definitely been a rough go with the chemotherapy over the past 6 weeks. I have had considerably more colorectal pain and fatigue than the past treatments. On the upside we are hopeful this treatment path is going to hit the cancer pretty hard. The negative reaction to the oxaliplatin is unfortunate because we felt that was an effective drug and I will not be able to get it anymore.

I tried playing basketball on Wednesday with my company's city league team. That was truly a humbling and frustrating experience. The oxaliplatin really messes with my coordination and I was having trouble just catching the ball. I was all over the place. I was happy that my brother played with us because he was clearly the best player on the court. That helped offset the fact that I was the worst.

Tonight I am in a great mood. I made my favorite meal for dinner--a bowtie pasta made with sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, garlic, onions, turkey sausage and goat cheese--and watched the Wildcats make their 25th straight NCAA tourney.

Thank you everyone for supporting us as we continue this fight against cancer. We have had awesome meals given to us from our friends at church and we greatly appreciate it. We love you guys!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home