Shield of Faith

A journal of my family's battle with cancer. On December 15th, 2006 I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer. In the spring of 2008, we found evidence the cancer has advanced to stage IV.
I am 38 years old and live in Tucson, Arizona.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

New Therapy

I am getting ready to start the new treatment plan. The plan includes Avastin and Xeloda, two of the drugs that I was on previously, and we are adding a new one called Temodar. Temodar is a chemo agent that is typically used with brain cancer, but my oncologist believes that there is a decent likelihood that it will work well with my cancer. The current plan is to start this treatment next Friday, the 12th.

In addition, we have decided to try out an experimental drug. This drug is not permitted by the FDA for cancer treatment here in the US, so my Dad and I are flying to Toronto next week to start the therapy. We plan on taking it in parallel with the other chemotherapies (Avastin/Xeloda/Temodar).

Please pray that I do not encounter any problematic side effects or drug interactions. We are concerned about unknown risks because there is not very much data on these drugs. This is the fifth or sixth different regiment that we are trying in the past three years. Let's hope this is successful in shrinking the tumors and putting me into remission.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:17 PM , Blogger Jim Buckley said...

    Best of luck, Andy. Our granddaughter, Renee, is taking Temodar for her brain cancer and it seems to be working. Sure hope that or the experimental treatment works for you. We are all with you. Jim Buckley

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home