Shield of Faith

A journal of my family's battle with cancer. On December 15th, 2006 I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer. In the spring of 2008, we found evidence the cancer has advanced to stage IV.
I am 38 years old and live in Tucson, Arizona.

Monday, June 28, 2010

New Radiation Therapy

Today I started a new round of radiation therapy. We discovered a new tumor just above my left hip joint. The biopsy from a week and a half ago confirmed that it was malignant. The history of pain goes back to February and because of this we were pretty confident that it was malignant before we did the biopsy. We even started the planning process for the radiation before the biopsy because we were so sure. The pain is distinctly different from any other pain I have had before, so I was sure it wasn't a muscle injury or infection. The tumor is growing into the nerve structure that goes to the leg, so I experience some shooting pains in my leg. I am also experiencing some instability in my left leg and some numbness in my left foot. I am glad we started the radiation because it should help the pain considerably. I am on some serious pain medication called oxycodone, which is a opiate narcotic.

The radiation is an 18 day treatment (everyday M-F). It is a new technology called IMRT which wasn't even available three years ago when I received radiation therapy on my colon. The technology allows for a very precise targeting of the tumor and can be directed around specific structures like the rectum. It is amazing what they can do these days.

Thank you everyone for your support. We are looking forward to a vacation after I have recovered from the radiation treatment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home